Bio Ethanol ornamental burner
Fire damage to furniture
Typical manufacturers' guidelines
Case reference - BM23
The occupier of a terraced house received burns to his face after re-filling an ornamental burner with bio ethanol liquid fuel.
The man thought that the burner had gone out and failed to notice that it was still burning.
When he added the fuel to the burner it burst in to flames causing burns to his face and spreading burning liquid fuel on to the settee and flooring.
The smoke alarm operated alerting the other occupants of the house who then assisted the casualty with his burns and put the fire out with a dry powder extinguisher.
The casualty was taken to hospital by ambulance and the Fire and Rescue Service checked on the extent of the damage and ensured the fire was extinguished.
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service offer free smoke alarms and home fire safety visits to eligible homes across East Sussex and the City of Brighton & Hove.
If you would like further information or advice on either a domestic or commercial safety matter or would like to request a free Home Safety Check, please contact the Community Safety Team free of charge on 0800 1777069.
You can also make a request online by completing our online Home Safety Request Form
Finally, we would be interested to hear from you if you have had a similar experience to the fire detailed above, or would like to raise any related matters or even just generally comment on how useful you found our Black Museum. Please send us your details and a comments via our on-line feedback form.