Chip pans are still being used and still causing fires.
Fire damage caused to the kitchen
If there is a fire involving the chip pan - Get out, Stay out and Call the Fire & Rescue Service out! Don't try to put it out yourself
Case reference - BM30
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service offer free smoke alarms and home fire safety visits to eligible households across East Sussex and the City of Brighton & Hove.
For further information or to arrange a visit, please contact the Community Safety Team free of charge on 0800 1777069.
You can also make a request online by completing our online Home Safety Request Form
The homeowner had been cooking chips in an open pan filled with oil on the hob of her cooker.
They were distracted by a phone call and left the kitchen where the chip pan eventually overheated and caught fire.
Whilst with the development of oven chips, the instances of chip pan fires have reduced over recent years - this incident shows that clearly they are still being used.
Cooking accidents are the most common cause of accidental fires in the home and Chip pan fires cause more injuries than anything else. East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service would advise homeowners to first consider a safer alternative, however if they prefer to cook with oil:
Finally, we would be interested to hear from you if you have had a similar experience to the fire detailed above, or would like to raise any related matters or even just generally comment on how useful you found our Black Museum.
Please send us your details and a comments via our on-line feedback form.