East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service
Achieving safer and more sustainable communities

East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo

Community Safety


Click on a picture for a larger view Picture 1
Picture 2

More electrical safety advice


Case reference - BM31

Free Smoke Alarms and
Home safety Visits

East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service offer free smoke alarms and home fire safety visits to eligible households across East Sussex and the City of Brighton & Hove.

For further information or to arrange a visit, please contact the Community Safety Team free of charge on 0800 1777069.

You can also make a request online by completing our online Home Safety Request Form

Black Museum Logo Do not store combustible materials near your Consumer Unit ('fuse box')

Fire caused by a fault in domestic consumer unit ('fuse box') which led to overheating (most likely "localised resistance heating" due to a weak / loose connection

Relevant Matters

Electrical safety First

The householder was ironing and had the tumble dryer and washing machine on when she smelt burning.

This had not set off any smoke alarms and as she could not immediately find where it was coming from, she ignored it.

Approximately 2 hours later she observed smoke coming from the consumer unit in the utility room and shortly after it burst into flame.

A workman who was also in the house at the time of the fire, pulled away coats and jackets that were near to the consumer unit and also starting to catch fire.

Safety Message

Consumer Unit

Electrical intakes comprise the incoming cable, service head, cut-out fuse, meter, consumer units and associated equipment.

East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service attends approximately 40 fires a year involving such equipment.

Electrical intake equipment can carry high electrical loads, which even in normal operating conditions can generate heat.

In fault conditions this heat can be sufficient to ignite combustible materials if stored in close proximity.

Therefore, the risk of a fire starting and developing is increased if household items are stored too close to intake areas.

These items can also act as an insulator to prevent air flow and adequate heat exchange that is required in this equipment.

Storing items on top or immediately around this equipment may also cause mechanical damage - creating an electrocution risk in addition to the fire risk.

The hazard this creates is particularly serious if the electrical intake position is situated on or near an escape route (e.g. under stairs cupboard), as even a small fire in this equipment will create a large amount of toxic smoke very quickly, preventing a safe escape.

You are advised to:

  • Keep the area around your electrical intake clear of combustible material.
  • If housed in a cupboard - to keep the door closed.
  • Ensure you have an adequate number of correctly sited and working smoke detectors and know your escape plan.
  • Contact a qualified electrician if you have any reason to suspect damage or a fault in your electrical intake equipment.
electricalIntakeLabel

Finally, from January 2012 Fire & Rescue Services andElectrical Safety First will be supplying caution labels to be affixed in electrical intakes.

It is expected that these labels will also be fitted during the forthcoming roll out of the national SMART meter programme.

Do you have a similar story?

Finally, we would be interested to hear from you if you have had a similar experience to the fire detailed above, or would like to raise any related matters or even just generally comment on how useful you found our Black Museum.

Please send us your details and a comments via our on-line feedback form.

This page was last updated on 22 July 2014
©East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service-All rights reserved