The Co-Awareness website - External Link, Opens in new tab.
offers a FREE app (available for Android devices only), and can be easily passed on from one person to another.
Is your son or daughter off to college soon?
Help them protect themselves from the lethal effects of carbon monoxide
A poorly-maintained gas appliance can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Learn more about the symptoms of this and how to prevent it.
Find out what your rights and responsibilities for gas safety are as a tenant, landlord or homeowner.
Every year, about 20 people die from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning caused by gas systems that haven't been properly installed or maintained. Many others also suffer ill health.
When gas or other fossil fuels, like coal, wood or oil, don't burn properly, too much CO is produced, which is poisonous. You can't see it, taste it or smell it, but CO can kill quickly, without warning.
Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms can develop very quickly or over a number of days or months
The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
The Health Protection Agency website has more information about Carbon Monoxide poisoning
The carbon monoxide from a badly adjusted camping light or stove can kill.
Barbecues in enclosed spaces are lethal, too.
Watch out for these symptoms