The Authority has legal responsibility to provide a Fire & Rescue Service for the whole of East Sussex and Brighton and Hove and is made up of 18 councillors,
- 12 who are nominated by East Sussex County Council
- 6 who are nominated by Brighton and Hove City Council.
The Chief Fire Officer and Chief Executive reports to the Fire Authority which has ultimate responsibility for such things as:
- deciding how many fire stations are needed,
- how many firefighters,
- how many fire engines and
- how much money needs to be raised from local taxes to pay for the service
ESFRS Borough = Area within the ESFRS command structure.
Please note that the membership of the Fire Authority could be subject to change following local elections in May.