Burwash has one pumping appliance crewed by Retained Firefighters. The first established station in 1929 was situated in a garage at the rear of "The Bell" Public House in the High Street. The current station at Shrub Lane was Officially opened on the 30th August 2001, Burwash Community Fire Station covers an area of some 8500 hectares.
It serves the villages of Hurst Green, Salehurst, Brightling, Burwash Common, Etchingham and parts of Stonegate and Robertsbridge fall within the area. Burwash has one exception to its rural risk, the British Gypsum Mines at Brightling. Here gypsum is mined and processed.