East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
Navigate
Black Museum Logo

Fire caused by gas escaping from a camping gas cylinder

[ Zoom ]
Remains if the gas lamp and cylinder

Remains if the gas lamp and cylinder

gasLight_pic2.jpg

Damage to the utility room where the fire started

[ Zoom ]
 The fire caused extensive smoke damage to the rest of the house The fire caused extensive smoke damage to the rest of the house

The fire caused extensive smoke damage to the rest of the house

How this fire happened

This fire was caused when gas escaped from a camping gas cylinder whilst it was being changed by the light of a candle.

A power cut had occurred in the area and a householder was using candles to see by.

He had then decided to use a lamp that was powered by a disposable camping gas type cylinder. When the gas ran low he decided to change it and was using a candle to see by. This was being done on a worktop in his utility room.

During the process of changing the cylinder escaping gas caught fire, which eventually caused the cylinder to explode.

Unfortunately the owner was burned and had to be treated in hospital overnight.

The fire caused serious damage as it spread into the roof and adjoining carport before the arrival of East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service who fought hard to prevent any further damage.

With internal doors being left open there was also serious smoke damage to other rooms in the house that were otherwise unaffected by direct burning.

The effect it had

Safety message

Fortunately nowadays power cuts are rare – however clearly they do still happen!

Naked flames will always be potentially dangerous and it would be sensible to have a good torch handy in case of a power cut.

Also, it is now possible to buy good lamps that are powered by battery, which would be much safer (outdoor and camping shops would have a good selection).

Shutting internal doors should be something that you do not only as part of a bedtime routine – but also whenever you leave your home unattended, as even a light internal door will prevent smoke and heat from damaging rooms and contents remote from the source of a fire.

Further information

Do you have a similar story?

Finally, we would be interested to hear from you if you have had a similar experience to the fire detailed above, or would like to raise any related matters or even just generally comment on how useful you found our Black Museum.

Please send us your details and a comments via our on-line feedback form.

Acknowledgement

Survey

Mandatory field

Black Museum Survey
Will this information make you think more about fire safety

Latest Update :
30 January 2015
Please rate this page, was it:
Please rate this page!