East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
Consumer unit ('Fuse Box')

Fire caused by a fault in domestic consumer unit ('fuse box') which led to overheating (most likely "localised resistance heating" due to a weak / loose connection)

[ Zoom ]
Burnt out fuse box

Burnt out fuse box


Fire damage around the fuse box

[ Zoom ]
 Electrical intake label

Electrical intake label

How this fire happened

Electrical Safety First logo

The householder was ironing and had the tumble dryer and washing machine on when she smelt burning.

This had not set off any smoke alarms and as she could not immediately find where it was coming from, she ignored it.

Approximately 2 hours later she observed smoke coming from the consumer unit in the utility room and shortly after it burst into flame.

A workman who was also in the house at the time of the fire, pulled away coats and jackets that were near to the consumer unit and also starting to catch fire.

The effect it had

Safety message

Electrical intakes comprise the incoming cable, service head, cut-out fuse, meter, consumer units and associated equipment.

East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service attends approximately 40 fires a year involving such equipment.

Electrical intake equipment can carry high electrical loads, which even in normal operating conditions can generate heat.

In fault conditions this heat can be sufficient to ignite combustible materials if stored in close proximity.

Therefore, the risk of a fire starting and developing is increased if household items are stored too close to intake areas.

These items can also act as an insulator to prevent air flow and adequate heat exchange that is required in this equipment.

Storing items on top or immediately around this equipment may also cause mechanical damage - creating an electrocution risk in addition to the fire risk.

The hazard this creates is particularly serious if the electrical intake position is situated on or near an escape route (e.g. under stairs cupboard), as even a small fire in this equipment will create a large amount of toxic smoke very quickly, preventing a safe escape.

Ensure you know where your electrical services are located.

You are advised to:   

  • Keep the area around your electrical intake clear of combustible material.      

  • If housed in a cupboard - to keep the door closed.

  • Ensure you have an adequate number of correctly sited and working smoke detectors and know your escape plan.

  • Contact a qualified electrician if you have any reason to suspect damage or a fault in your electrical intake equipment.  

Finally, from January 2012 Fire & Rescue Services and Electrical Safety First will be supplying caution labels to be affixed in electrical intakes. 

It is expected that these labels will also be fitted during the forthcoming roll out of the national SMART meter programme.

Further information

Only allow work to be carried out by a qualified Electrician.    

Do you have a similar story?

Finally, we would be interested to hear from you if you have had a similar experience to the fire detailed above, or would like to raise any related matters or even just generally comment on how useful you found our Black Museum.

Please send us your details and a comments via our on-line feedback form.



Indicates mandatory fields

Black Museum Survey
Will this information make you think more about fire safety

Latest Update :
19 October 2017
Please rate this page, was it:
Please rate this page!