1st fire door from the kitchen to the kitchen lobby. Door damaged by heat and smoke but prevented spread of fire beyond door.
Kitchen lobby protected between 2 fire doors. Minor smoke damage in the lobby due to protection from 1st fire door.
2nd fire door prevented spread of smoke to the remainder of the premises.
Restaurant routines include a thorough clean of the basement kitchen each Sunday. On the night of the fire, the kitchen had been cleaned, appliances unplugged and the laundry washed and dried.
Before leaving the premises for the night, the cotton laundry was folded and stacked straight from the tumble drier in to plastic baskets.
During the night the hot moist laundry in the stack and the oil residue started to self-heat (resulting from an exothermic reaction within the material) due to continued oxidation.
When the fabrics reached auto-ignition temperature, the materials ignited without the application of an external heat source, commonly described as ‘spontaneous combustion’.
The fire was discovered by the cleaner at 0600 hours, the time the fire started is unknown. However, the fire safety features in the basement meant that the fire was contained by two parallel fire doors which also limited smoke damage to the rest of the business.
"Our business had to be closed for full kitchen refit for 4 months. This has had a huge impact on our staff, business development, business profile and customer loyalty."
Finally, we would be interested to hear from you if you have had a similar experience to the fire detailed above, or would like to raise any related matters or even just generally comment on how useful you found our Black Museum.
Please send us your details and a comments via our on-line feedback form.
Indicates mandatory fields