Severe fire damage created by a burning Lithium Polymer (Li-Po) rechargeable battery pack
The charging table, destroyed in the fire
Remains of the battery pack
The battery pack was placed on charge at approximately 09:00 a.m. - on a workbench and the fire alarm sounded at 09:50 a.m.
The owner looked into the room in question and noticed flames and smoke coming from the area of where the battery pack was sited.
He entered the room and unplugged the charger unit from the mains, then dropped the battery and charger on the floor and stamped on them both.
He did however state that smoke was seen coming from the rubber matting on the table where the battery pack was sited.
He then vacated the building and waited for the arrival of the Fire and Rescue Service.
The owner of the battery pack had stated that the battery itself was totally discharged and had suffered impact damage on a number of occasions whilst being used.
Current publications and instruction manuals advise that Li-Po batteries are susceptible to impact damage and if involved in such impact damage, they may be prone to overheat and ignite.
Additionally, it is also advised that a Li-Po battery should never be allowed to fall below a certain minimum voltage or be allowed to be totally discharged.
Finally, we would be interested to hear from you if you have had a similar experience to the fire detailed above, or would like to raise any related matters or even just generally comment on how useful you found our Black Museum.
Please send us your details and a comments via our on-line feedback form.
Indicates mandatory fields