East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
Black Museum Logo

Fire caused by a mirror reflecting sunlight

[ Zoom ]
The mirror that reflected the sunlight.

The mirror that reflected the sunlight.

[ Zoom ]

Fire damage.

[ Zoom ]
Compass showinf the direction of the sun.

Compass showing the direction of the sun.

How this fire happened

Our firefighters often attend incidents where the sun’s rays have been concentrated by reflective or focussing objects including mirrors, spectacles, paperweights or plastic items and caused flammable objects placed nearby to smoulder and sometimes catch fire.

In East Sussex we have attended around 20 similar incidents in the past four years and it is a common problem seen by other fire and rescue services. These incidents tend to occur in rooms with south facing windows and, paradoxically, are more common in autumn and winter when the sun is lower in the sky.

In this incident, the householder had placed three mirrors on furniture near to a southeast facing window and on the day of the fire had left the house on a bright and sunny autumn afternoon. The positioning of the mirrors concentrated the rays onto clothing that had been placed on the back of a wicker chair causing them to catch fire.

The householders were lucky on this occasion and returned to find the property filled with smoke. Thankfully the fire had not taken hold and damage was restricted to the bedroom, but it could have been much worse had it not been discovered so early, as is illustrated by similar cases on the Black Museum.

The effect it had

Safety message

Safety Message - Do.
  •  Consider storing objects such as magnifying glasses, mirrors, spectacles and glass ornaments away from windows, particularly if it is south facing, or covering them when not in use.
  • Take extra care during the autumn and winter months when the sun is low in the sky.
  • Get into the habit of closing internal doors when you leave home and as part of your bedtime routine.
  • Test your smoke alarm every week.
Safety Message Don't
  • Place objects capable of focussing the sun’s rays close to the window and combustible materials such as upholstery, curtains or paper.

Further information

Do you have a similar story?

Finally, we would be interested to hear from you if you have had a similar experience to the fire detailed above, or would like to raise any related matters or even just generally comment on how useful you found our Black Museum.

Please send us your details and a comments via our on-line feedback form.



Mandatory field

Black Museum Survey
Will this information make you think more about fire safety

Latest Update :
01 October 2020
Please rate this page, was it:
Please rate this page!