Fire in thatched roof
While candles can give a warm glow to a room during the dark winter evenings, left unattended or close to flammable materials they can cause devastation. Unattended or carelessly positioned candles caused 952 fires in the UK between 2011 and 12. This resulted in 9 fatalities and 368 injuries. Thankfully nobody was injured when the owners of a historic thatched cottage inadvertently placed a scented candle too close to curtains, causing a severe blaze. The fire engulfed the ground floor and first floor at the two story property, destroyed the roof and caused significant damage to an adjoining cottage. At its height, 95 firefighters and 12 appliances were involved in fighting the fire. Fortunately there were no injuries.
We would be interested to hear from you if you have had a similar experience to the fire detailed above, or would like to raise any related matters or even just generally comment on how useful you found our Black Museum.
Please send us your details and a comments via our on-line feedback form.
This case study was contributed by:
Indicates mandatory fields