The wood burning stove
A family were sleeping in a small group of Mongolian Yurt's in a woodland camp. A wood burning stove was used to heat the tent occupied by a child.
The stove flue used was a single skin stainless steel pipe, which took the waste smoke and fumes up through the canvas roof of the Yurt. Heat from the flue set fire to the silicon treated canvas fabric where it made contact with the roof. The fire developed rapidly in the wind destroying the Yurt and its contents before spreading to two further Yurts in the camp. Three people suffered minor burns including the child who woke up and escaped from a smoky tent, raising the alarm and waking his parents.
The traditional Yurts were imported from Mongolia and consisted of an inner and outer wall cover over a lattice wall made from wooden poles. The cone shaped roof is supported on roof poles to a central crown or wheel.
The wood burning stove was converted from an old gas cylinder with a single wall stainless steel flue angled through 2 x 90o to the roof of the Yurt and held in place with copper wire. The owners stated that they regularly burnt green wood in the stove; this is known to cause a build-up of deposits in the flue that may later ignite.
We would be interested to hear from you if you have had a similar experience to the fire detailed above, or would like to raise any related matters or even just generally comment on how useful you found our Black Museum.
Please send us your details and a comments via our on-line feedback form.
Indicates mandatory fields