East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
Navigate

Be Your Own Hero to Avoid Fires in The Home

Date : 10 June 2019


BYOH-logo-Red.png

Accidental fires in the home can happen for a variety of reasons and overnight we were called to electrical, chimney and cooking-related incidents.

Steps can be taken to reduce these types of incidents within the home and we would suggest you taking a look at our Be Your Own Hero pages to find out more.

  • At 17.48 two crews were sent to The Diplocks, in Hailsham, following reports of smoke coming from an electrical cupboard, which smoke-logged the ground-floor. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used carbon dioxide to extinguish the fire and a Positive Pressure Ventilation Fan was used to clear smoke from the building. The small fire in the electrical cupboard affected the internal wiring and the electrics to the housing block was isolated by the engineer.
  • At 23.25 yesterday (9 June) Lewes firefighters were sent to a property in Newton Road, in Lewes, following reports of overheated food. A Home Safety Visit was carried out at the property.
  • At 00.30 this morning (10 June) Roedean firefighters were sent to Cario Avenue, in Peacehaven, due to reports of a chimney fire. The crew made the property safe.

 

Other overnight incidents:

  • There were two false alarms in Brighton and Ringmer overnight, you can help the Fire Service by carrying out some simple checks to reduce these call-outs, which divert crews from other emergencies.Find out more on how to reduce false alarms.
  • At 19.02 yesterday (9 June) Seaford firefighters were sent to Barn Rise, in Seaford, due to two small fires on a grass verge. The crew used one hose reel jet to tackle the fire.
  • At 20.33 yesterday (9 June) Hastings firefighters were sent to a bin fire in Halton Terrace, in Hastings, where they made the area safe.
  • At 20.39 yesterday (9 June) Hastings firefighters were sent to a rubbish bin fire in Hardwicke Road, Hastings, which was out on arrival.
  • At 22.45 yesterday (9 June) Lewes firefighters were sent to a car fire near Earwig Corner, in Lewes, where firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the accidental fire using one hose reel jet.
  • At 00.39 this morning (10 June) Hove firefighters were sent to Portland Villas, Hove, following reports of flooding inside a building, where the water was coming through a bathroom ceiling.  Both the water and electrics were isolated by the crew.
  • At 2.00 this morning (10 June) two appliances were sent to a property in Seaside, in Eastbourne, due to flooding inside the building, affecting a top floor flat. The external gulley was cleared and the leak isolated by firefighters. Advice was given to residents.
  • At 6.50 this morning (10 June) Crowborough firefighters were sent to Duddleswell Road, in Duddleswell, following reports of a road traffic collision involving a larry, van and car. No-one was trapped.

 

HSV-Box-Banner.png
Safe-Business-Box-Banner.png


Subscribe to our occasional newsletter

Find us on Twitter and Facebook and retweet or share our posts.


Please rate this page, was it:
Please rate this page!