East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
Navigate

Camper van fire tackled by firefighters

Date : 25 April 2019


Caravans-Keep-6-Metres-Apart-150x150.jpg

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is reminding owners of camper vans and caravans to check their fire safety measures.

It’s after a camper van caught alight in Barcombe last night (24 April 2019).

We were called 22:05 to reports of a fire near the Anchor Inn on Anchor Lane.

Crews from Barcombe and Lewes attended the scene.

The fire was spreading from the camper to a wood store. 

They used one main jet and two breathing apparatus.

There are no reports of injuries.

The cause was accidental.

Fire safety advice

  • Make sure you have working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms 
  • If you smell gas, turn off at the main valve or cylinder and seek advice from an expert - don't use naked flames
  • Most furnishings are fire retardant, but be careful with cigarettes, matches and candles
  • Be tidy: boxes, cases and anything flammable in passageways and doorways may prevent you escaping in an emergency
  • Don't allow children to play or leave toys near a portable heater
  • Leave plenty of space between caravans - at least 6 metres
  • In the event of a fire, make sure everyone in the mobile home knows, and get out as quickly as possible, without stopping to investigate the fire - call 999, clearly stating the location of the fire.

 

For more advice: https://www.esfrs.org/your-safety/safer-homes/caravans/




HSV-Box-Banner.png
Safe-Business-Box-Banner.png


Subscribe to our occasional newsletter

Find us on Twitter and Facebook and retweet or share our posts.


Please rate this page, was it:
Please rate this page!