East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
Navigate

Candle safety warning following serious fire in Hove

Date : 11 December 2019


Hove Fire.jpg
Photo- Eddie Mitchell (@brightonsnapper)

A fire caused by a candle at a property in Hove has prompted East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service to issue a safety warning.

Eight appliances from Newhaven, Barcombe, Lewes, Roedean, Brighton, Hove, together with firefighters from West Sussex were mobilised to the accidental fire at a property in Leicester Villas, Hove in the early hours of Tuesday 10th December.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire using an Aerial Ladder Platform, two main jets and one hose reel jet.  

Four people were rescued by firefighters from the building and handed over in to the care of SECAMB. 

Crews remained at the scene until 11am and carried out a targeted ‘quickstrike’ of the area, which involved co-ordinated community engagement with local residents in a bid to increase fire safety awareness.

Avoid becoming a statistic

Station Manager Pup Upton, the Fire Investigation Officer said: “Candles may seem a harmless aesthetic addition to your home but if left unattended, they can cause a serious house fire, resulting in personal injury, property damage,  or even worse.

We can’t stress enough how important it is to follow safety advice to avoid becoming a statistic.

Some people are unaware that if you do not place a candle in a heat-resistant holder and on a stable surface that the heat can quickly burn through plastic, or other material, creating a fire which could quickly become out of control.

If a naked flame is placed too close to curtains or home furnishings then a fire can quickly take hold and rapidly spread throughout a home.

It is so important to remember to extinguish candles when nobody is in the room, or when going to bed to ensure they have been fully extinguished. Also, it is imperative to fit a working smoke alarm to give you the best chance of escaping should there be a fire in the home.”

Further information

  • Click here for some of our excellent tips and advice on candle and festive decoration safety. 
  • Did you know we offer FREE Home Safety Visits to everyone in East Sussex?  We are committed to helping people stay safe in their homes. Our specially trained staff will visit your home and give you advice on how to reduce the risk of having a fire.  If you would like a Home Safety Visit click here
HSV-Box-Banner.png
Safe-Business-Box-Banner.png


Subscribe to our occasional newsletter

Find us on Twitter and Facebook and retweet or share our posts.


Please rate this page, was it:
Please rate this page!