East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
Navigate

Caravan owners reminded about the importance of fire safety

Date : 21 January 2019


Escape Plan - Twitter.jpg

East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service were sent to a caravan fire in Pevensey Bay last night (20 January).

Two Eastbourne crews were sent to the incident at 23.40 in Eastbourne Road where they tackled the accidental electrical fire, caused by heating equipment, wearing breathing apparatus and using one hose reel jet. A thermal imaging camera was also used at the scene. Two gas cylinders were removed and placed in an area of safety to cool.

No-one was injured and caravan/motorhome owners are being reminded to safeguard themselves with smoke alarms and carry out appropriate electrical checks, as well as have an escape plan.

Electrical appliances, plugs and cables that are old or poorly wired can be a real danger.

Just because there's no flame does not mean there's no fire risk.

A residential mobile home, or caravan, offers a greatly reduced level of protection from fire compared with a house, mainly due to its construction. Make sure you know how to escape from a mobile home.

Find out more

Click here to find out what to check for to ensure your appliances don't put you, your family or housemates at risk from fire. 

Other overnight incidents

  • At 17.16 yesterday (20 January) Brighton firefighters were called to Bath Street, in Brighton, after reports of flooding in a building, originating from a second-floor, affecting three floors. 
  • At 1.03 this morning (21 January) Hastings firefighters were sent to Marline Road, in St Leonards-on-Sea after reports of a mattress on fire, which was affecting a nearby fence.
  • At 2.16 this morning (21 January) two Hastings appliances were sent to Hollington Old Lane, in St Leonards-on-Sea, after reports of a small fire in the open involving a propane cynlinder. One hose reel jet was used at the incident.
  • At 2.45 this morning (21 January) two Hastings appliances were sent to Warrior Square, in St Leonards-on-Sea where they tackled a fire involving a motorcycle and a car wearing breathing apparatus and using one hose reel jet.
HSV-Box-Banner.png
Safe-Business-Box-Banner.png


Subscribe to our occasional newsletter

Find us on Twitter and Facebook and retweet or share our posts.


Please rate this page, was it:
Please rate this page!