Get winter ready and don’t leave your chimney out in the cold….they need some tender loving care too!
This reminder by East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service follows callouts to two chimney fires in one day:
- At 10:35 yesterday (30 September) Heathfield firefighters were sent to a property in North Street, Punnets Town, where they tackled a chimney fire, using a specialist chimney kit, hose rell and Aerial Ladder Platform. Crews spoke with residents in the surrounding area.
- At 18:06 yesterday (30 September) Hastings firefighters were sent to a property in Pett Road, Pett, where they tackled a small chimney fire. A thermal image camera was used to ensure the property was safe.
Chimney Fire Prevention Tips
The number of chimney fires in the area have been slowly decreasing but even a small fire can cause significant damage and disruption. Fire isn't the only risk it's important to install a carbon monoxide alarm in any room that contains a solid fuel burning appliance.
- Make sure your chimney is swept regularly
- Chimneys should be swept according to the type of fuel used:
- Smokeless fuels - at least once a year
- Bitumous coal - at least twice a year
- Wood - quarterly when in use
- Oil - once a year
- Gas - once a year (Any work on gas appliances requires a Gas Safe registered installer/engineer)
- Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained
- Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers
- Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house
- Ensure good quality fuel is used
- Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks
Want to find out even more on how to keep safe, if you want to snuggle up to an open fire this winter? Click here.
Find out how to make your home safer.