East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
Navigate

Don’t let your kitchen get too hot to handle

Date : 30 April 2019


Chip-pan-fire.jpg

Kitchen fires can quickly get out of hand, especially when cooking with fat.

Last night, Hove firefighters were sent to a flat in in Sackville Road, in in Hove, at 20.54, following reports of a fire cause by a pan of overheated fat.

Luckily, the fire was out on arrival and advice was given at the scene.

Did you know that more than half of accidental fires at home start in the kitchen?

Many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention or they leave things unattended.

Find out how to keep safe while you are cooking and what to do if a fire starts.

Steps can be taken to keep you safe when cooking, find out what you can do to create a safer home.

Cooking with oil

You need to be especially careful when you are deep-fat frying or cooking with oil because hot oil can catch fire easily. Make sure you:

  • Do not fill a chip pan or other deep-fat fryer more than one-third full of oil.
  • Use a thermostat-controlled deep-fat fryer, which will make sure the fat doesn't get too hot.

 

 

HSV-Box-Banner.png
Safe-Business-Box-Banner.png


Subscribe to our occasional newsletter

Find us on Twitter and Facebook and retweet or share our posts.


Please rate this page, was it:
Please rate this page!