East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
Navigate

Fire Service Reminder to Look When You Cook

Date : 26 February 2019


Hot Facts - Accidental Dwelling.jpg

Did you know that more than half of accidental fires at home start in the kitchen?

Many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention or they leave things unattended.

East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service were sent to a variety of cooking-related incidents yesterday:

  •  At 15.23 yesterday (25 February) Roedean and Newhaven firefighters were sent to an accidental microwave fire, which was out on arrival, at a property in Valley Road, Newhaven, which smoke-logged the kitchen. Crews made sure the property was safe.
  • Two appliances from Brighton attended a property in Ditchling Road, Brighton, at 17.13 yesterday (25 February) following reports of smoke emitting from a ground-floor window, caused by overheated food. A Positive Pressure Ventilation Fan was used to clear smoke from the building.
  • At 17.42 yesterday (25 February) two Eastbourne appliances were sent to a property in Willoughby Crescent, Eastbourne, following reports of a smell of burning on the ground-floor. The small fire on the hob was out on arrival.

Cooking safety advice

For more information on how to keep safe whilst you are cooking and what to do if a fire starts in your kitchen visit: https://www.esfrs.org/your-safety/fire-safety-at-home/cooking/

Washing Machine Fire

Electrical appliances, plugs and cables that are old or poorly wired can be a real danger.

Just because there's no flame does not mean there's no fire risk.

Find out what to check for to ensure your appliances don't put you, your family or housemates at risk from fire. Checking your electrics – Check and maintain your electrical appliances and don’t forget to register them for recall information.

  • At 15.32 yesterday (25 February) Brighton firefighters were sent to Crescent Road, Brighton, following reports of a smell of burning from a washing machine, due to it overheating. A Home Safety Visit was carried out at the scene.

Flooding

  • At 18.57 yesterday (25 February) firefighters were sent to a property in Stonehouse Drive, St Leonards-on-Sea, following reports of flooding affecting electrics. The crew isolated both the gas and water supply.
  • At 20.45 yesterday (25 February) a crew were sent to a basement flat in Burlington Street, Brighton, following reports of flooding through the ceiling. Firefighters isolated the leak and made the property safe.

Do you know....

How to turn off your electricity and gas supplies?

  • What is covered by your insurance?
  • Who you can call if you need assistance?

Further information

Staying alert and preparing for the worst can help keep you, your family and your property safe. For more information on flood safety and useful contacts see our website.

Being Prepared

When bad weather hits, it is often too late to prevent damage and so the best way to deal with potential floods is to be prepared. Floods can happen quickly so don't wait until it is too late to think about preparation.

HSV-Box-Banner.png
Safe-Business-Box-Banner.png


Subscribe to our occasional newsletter

Find us on Twitter and Facebook and retweet or share our posts.


Please rate this page, was it:
Please rate this page!