East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people to store fuel for open fires and log burners a safe distance away from any heat sources.
It’s after two fire engines were sent to a fire on Rye Harbour Road in Rye at 19:22 yesterday (19 November 2019).
There was a small fire involving logs next to a wood burner in the lounge.
Two breathing apparatus were used as well as a hose reel jet to prevent the incident escalating.
A Home Safety Visit was undertaken.
- Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained
- Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers
- Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house
- Ensure good quality fuel is used and store well away from the fire
- Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks
Home Safety Visits
Did you know that we offer free Home Safety Visits to everyone in East Sussex?
We can visit to help you make your home safer and in some cases fitting smoke alarms.
If you would like a Home Safety Visit, please call us on 0800 177 7069.