One cooking-related fire nearly happened yesterday in Portslade. Please take care this festive season and #LookWhileYouCook
Don’t forget that 297 out of 508 accidental house fires across East Sussex started in the kitchen last year. That’s far too many, help us to reduce these in 2020.
Remember, don’t become distracted when cooking this Christmas, it’s easily done with all the excitement, mixed with alcohol.
Visitors, kids, social media, alcohol can all become a big distraction in the kitchen. Make sure you don’t become a recipe for disaster and follow our top cooking safety tips.
Yesterday and overnight (17 December) our crews attended the following incidents, including false alarm call-outs in Rye, Brighton, Eastbourne, Bexhill and St Leonards:
- At 09:52 yesterday (16 December) a crew were sent to a flat in Victoria Road, Portslade, following reports of a grill fire. No fire but firefighters ensured the property was made safe.
- At 12.06 yesterday (16 December) crews rescued one person stuck in a lift in Upper Wellington Road, Brighton.
- At 12.58 yesterday (16 December) reports of a diesel spillage in Victoria Drive, Eastbourne. No action by fire service reported to police and Highways dept.
- At 22.07 yesterday (16 December) a crew were sent to a car fire, involving a collision with a tree in Hatch Road, Forest Row. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used two hose reel jets to tackle the fire.