- At 14.36 yesterday (4 March) firefighters were sent to a kitchen fire where an extinguisher was used to put out an oven fire on the first-floor of a property in East Hill, Portslade. A Home Safety Visit was carried out.
- At 19.50 yesterday (4 March) a crew from Forest Row attended a chimney fire at a property in Priory Road, Forest Row, where they extinguished the fire and made the scene safe.
- At 4.17 this morning (5 March) Hastings firefighters were sent to a rubbish bin fire in Warrior Square, in St Leonards-on-Sea. Firefighters used one hose reel jet to tackle the fire.
- At 6.13 this morning (5 March) three appliances from Brighton and Hove were sent to a car fire along the A27, Falmer, Eastbound, which was out on arrival.
Residents can take precautions to prevent a chimney fire in the home including making sure your chimney is swept regularly and according to the type of fuel used. Find out more on how to keep safe, if you have a chimney, along with contact details for the National Association of Chimney Sweeps, to find a reputable chimney sweep near you.
How do I know when I have a chimney fire?
- A loud roaring noise, which occurs as massive amounts of air are sucked through the appliance or fireplace opening and used to oxidize the combustible fuels within the system.
- Sparks and flames seen shooting from the chimney top, which can be firework like in appearance.
- A glowing or shimmering appliance outlet or connector.
- Vibrating appliance, outlet or connector.
- Flames visible through any tiny cracks in the outlet or connector.
- Smoke and odours noticeable in adjoining rooms or the loft space.
- The heating up of the chimney breast or flue pipe, in the same room as the appliance and also other rooms that the flue passes through.
What to do in the event of a chimney fire
- Put the spark guard on and call 999.
- REMEMBER- If it is left unattended, a chimney fire can spread into the rest of the house.
- Some people fear that they will be charged for the Fire Service to attend a chimney fire - this is not true.
Cooking safety advice
Did you know that more than half of accidental fires at home start in the kitchen?
Many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention or they leave things unattended.
For more information on how to keep safe whilst you are cooking and what to do if a fire starts in your kitchen visit: https://www.esfrs.org/your-safety/fire-safety-at-home/cooking/
Storing waste – advice for businesses
Businesses are being reminded not to leave combustible materials close to premises, which can become a fire hazard as flames can quickly spread to nearby buildings placing others at risk.
Businesses should consider this risk, within their fire risk assessment, which should address the risk of a fire on their premises affecting others in the vicinity - especially where this affects others ability to escape. Have a look at our Business Safety pages.
Businesses and residents are being asked to help us reduce false alarms after we were called out overnight to false alarms in Eastbourne, Brighton, Bexhill, Hove and Newhaven.
The negative impact it has on the community
- Disruption to a business (unnecessary costsand loss of business when a building is evacuated)
- The unnecessary risk to the public from fire engines travelling to the incident
- Complacency "oh it's just another false alarm" - reduces the effectiveness of management plans and safety of staff
- The cost to businesses who release on-call firefighters to attend incidents
- The impact on the environment of unnecessary movement of fire engines
- The cost Taxpayers
The impact on the Fire & Rescue Service
- Potentially putting lives at risk by diverting essential services from real fires and rescues
- The unnecessary risk of vehicle accidents to crews when responding
- Disruption to crew's training, arson reduction and community safety and fire safety activities.
- Wasted cost of attendance for the Fire Service.
- Wear and tear on vehicles