At 05:01, firefighters from Hastings, The Ridge, Broad Oak, Battle and Bexhill were called to attend a high rise building on Stonehouse Drive, St Leonards-on-Sea following reports of a kitchen fire. The fire had emanated from a kitchen fire in a sixth floor flat.
Firefighters used breathing apparatus and used an Aerial Ladder Platform to extinguish the fire through a window. The fire was contained in the kitchen although the rest of the flat had light smoke damage. It is believed that the fire emanated from a toaster.
Station Commander Mark Webb said: “The fact that the kitchen door was shut kept fire and smoke damage to the minimum. Residents stayed calm and crews worked hard to ensure that the fire was quickly dealt with. We would like to remind people of the importance of having working smoke alarms which give early warning and give us the best chance of responding quickly before the fire has time to spread.”
- At 16:26, firefighters from Lewes, Eastbourne and Seaford attended a fire in a residential property on Chilver Bridge Road, Arlington. The fire emanated from the first floor of a terrace house. Firefighters used six Breathing Apparatus and two Hose Reel Jets to extinguish the fire. Crews isolated the electric and gas and ventilated the property. One resident was handed over in to the care of SECAMB after suffering from smoke inhalation. A fire investigation is due to take place today.
- At 18:21, firefighters from Bexhill and Herstmonceux attended an RTC involving on vehicle on Oakleaf Drive, Polegate. Crews stabilised the vehicle and one person was released.
- At 19:34, firefighters from Roedean attended a small fire in a residential property on north Place, Brighton. Crews used a buckets of water to extinguish the fire. The cause was accidental.
- At 20:07, Brighton firefighters attended a residential property on Warren Way, Brighton following reports of persons shut in a lift. Crews released one person.
- At 20:58, Brighton firefighters attended a commercial property on Gloucester Road, Brighton following reports of a fire. Crews used two Breathing Apparatus, one Hose Reel Jet and CO2 to extinguish the fire. The fire had emanated from a refrigeration unit.
- At 21:24, firefighters from Crowborough attended a petrol station on Beacon Road, Crowborough to carry out an animal rescue. Crews released one dog from a car.
- At 00:15, Eastbourne firefighters attended Allfrey Road, Eastbourne following reports of a bin fire. Crews used one Hose Reel Jet to extinguish a wheelie bin fire. Police are investigating the incident.
- At 00:58, Eastbourne firefighters attended a vehicle fire on Hide Hollow, Eastbourne. Crews used one Hose Reel Jet and one Breathing Apparatus to extinguish the fire. Police are investigating the incident.
- At 03:30, Brighton firefighters attended a fire in the open on The Level, Brighton. Crews extinguished the fire using buckets of water.