East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
Navigate

Overnight incident round-up 18th January

Date : 18 January 2019


Chimney.jpg

Overnight, East Sussex Fire and Rescue attended a variety of incidents:-

Chimney fires

  • At 19:17, firefighters from Newhaven attended a chimney fire at a residential property on Downs View, Mill Lane, Rodmell.  The chimney fire was out on arrival.  Crews used a chimney kit to ensure that the fire was out.  Crews then carried out a Home Safety Visit.  
  • At 19:53, firefighters from Brighton and Lewes attended a chimney fire at a residential property on School Field, Barcombe.  Crews carried out rodding.  Once the fire was extinguished, crews carried out a Home Safety Visit. 

How do I know when I have a chimney fire? 

  • A loud roaring noise, which occurs as massive amounts of air are sucked through the appliance or fireplace opening and used to oxidize the combustible fuels within the system.
  • Sparks and flames seen shooting from the chimney top, which can be firework like in appearance.
  • A glowing or shimmering appliance outlet or connector.
  • Vibrating appliance, outlet or connector.
  • Flames visible through any tiny cracks in the outlet or connector.
  • Smoke and odours noticeable in adjoining rooms or the loft space.
  • The heating up of the chimney breast or flue pipe, in the same room as the appliance and also other rooms that the flue passes through.

What to do in the event of a chimney fire 

  • Put the spark guard on and call 999.
  • REMEMBER - If it is left unattended, a chimney fire can spread into the rest of the house.
  • Some people fear that they will be charged for the Fire Service to attend a chimney fire - this is not true. 

Other incidents

  • At 18:39, firefighters from Eastbourne attended a residential property on Ashburnham Road, Eastbourne following reports of persons shut in a lift.  Crews released three people.             
  • At 19:13, firefighters from Roedean, Hove and Brighton attended a reported vehicle fire at a garage on Brighton Road, Shoreham.  On arrival, there was no fire from the vehicle.  Crews isolated fuel pumps as a safety precaution.    
  • At 00:10, firefighters from Newhaven and Roedean attended a residential property on Collingwood Close, Peacehaven following reports of burning smell in the property.  The fire had emanated from overheated food.  Crews carried out ventilation of the property and offered home safety advice.        
  • At 02:20, firefighters from Bexhill attended a flooding at a residential building on Preston Road, Bexhill.  Crews isolated the leak and electrics.  

 

HSV-Box-Banner.png
Safe-Business-Box-Banner.png


Subscribe to our occasional newsletter

Find us on Twitter and Facebook and retweet or share our posts.


Please rate this page, was it:
Please rate this page!