Overnight, East Sussex Fire and Rescue attended a variety of incidents:-
- At 19:03, firefighters from Bexhill attended a residential property on Brays Hill, Ashburnham following reports of a chimney fire. Crews used a chimney kit to extinguish the fire.
Chimney Fire Prevention Tips
The number of chimney fires in the area have been slowly decreasing but even a small fire can cause significant damage and disruption. Fire isn't the only risk it's important to install a carbon monoxide alarm in any room that contains a solid fuel burning appliance.
- Make sure your chimney is swept regularly
- Chimneys should be swept according to the type of fuel used:-
- Smokeless fuels - at least once a year
- Bitumous coal - at least twice a year
- Wood - quarterly when in use
- Oil - once a year
- Gas - once a year (Any work on gas appliances requires a Gas Safe registered installer/engineer)
- Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained
- Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers
- Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house
- Ensure good quality fuel is used
- Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks
- At 19:19, Hove firefighters attended a fire in the open on Kingsway, Hove. Crews used one Hose Reel to extinguish a bush fire.
- At 20:34, Eastbourne firefighters attended a property on Bermuda Place, Eastbourne following reports of persons shut in a lift. Crews released four people.
- At 05:56, firefighters from The Ridge and Hastings attended a residential property on Harkness Drive, Hastings following reports of a fire. Crews used two Breathing Apparatus and one Hose Reel to extinguish the fire. Crews then used a Positive Pressure Ventilation fan to clear the property of smoke. One resident was handed over in to the care of SECAMB after suffering from smoke inhalation. Crews carried out a Home Safety Visit.
Home Safety Visits
Did you know that we offer FREE Home Safety Visits? To find out more about this service, visit: https://www.esfrs.org/your-safety/safer-homes/home-safety-visits/