Never leave your home with the tumble dryer running, however tempting this may be.
This also applies to washing machines too, as fires caused by electrical appliances in the home are far more common than people realise. Electrical fires within the home are a weekly occurrence for East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service to attend.
Overnight we were called out to two electrical fires:
- At 23.17 two Brighton appliances were sent to Chester Terrace, in Brighton, following reports of a tumble dryer fire. No action was required but the appliance had overheated and an Home Safety Visit was carried out at the scene.
- At 5.34 this morning (9 April) two appliances from Lewes and Brighton were sent to Church Lane, in Beddingham, after a fire in an electrical installation was reported. The incident was dealt with using carbon dioxide.
Fire Investigation Officer, Richard Moon, said: “It’s always best to use appliances while you are in the property and awake. If you are asleep you may not wake up and if you are out there is no-one there to alert the Fire Service, if there is a fire.”
If a fire starts when you are at home it means you can contact East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service immediately, which will minimise fire damage in the home. Always get out, stay out and call the Fire Service out. Find out how you can make your home safer.
Dealing with an electrical fire
If there is an electrical fire, pull the plug out, or switch off the power at the fuse box - if it's safe to do so. Sometimes this can stop the fire immediately. Read more about electrical safety.
Never use water on an electrical fire, and don't take any risks with your safety - get out, stay out and call 999.
Check and maintain your electrical appliances – you can also register them for recall information.