Families across Kent, Sussex and further afield are invited to come along to Water Savvy Fun Day! Lots of people don't tend to think of firefighters when it comes to water rescue and water safety, but it's a major focus for East Sussex Fire and Rescue and Kent Fire and Rescue Service, with whom we've teamed up to bring you this family friendly event.
Water Savvy Fun Day is being held on Sunday 23rd June at Bewl Water , Tunbridge Wells from 11am – 4pm. Entry is free but standard Bewl Water parking charges apply (£3). Dogs are welcome, but need to be kept on a lead in the main event areas.
There will be something for everyone with the fun day promising lots of activities for all age groups, taking place in two zones: The Water Savvy Village and The Water Savvy Arena. Whether you’re interested in watching live water rescue demos, animal rescue demos, are eager to climb aboard a fire engine, fancy meeting the giant Splashpals Newfoundland Dogs or want to experience virtual ‘cold reality’ with virtual reality goggles - there'll be something for everyone! In addition, there will also be opportunities to learn life savings skills, such as CPR and how to use a throwline - or just relax, enjoy a picnic and even get your face painted!
There'll be fun activities happening throughout the day in the Water Savvy Village (lower car park) and in the Water Savvy Arena (grass slope down to the water). Hot and cold food and drink will be available to buy from The Waterfront Café or alternatively feel free to bring a picnic along.
Water Savvy Village
- Climb aboard a fire engine and dress up in firefighting gear
- Check out the animal rescue unit, look at all the kit and meet the crew
- Meet the Control team answering 999 calls - practice making a 999 call, and learn what vital information you need to provide
- Take a look at the Kent Search and Rescue (KSAR) boat and meet their search dogs
- Pick up an activity sheet and play 'spot the duck' to win a prize
- Virtual reality experience
Water Savvy Arena
- Climb aboard a rescue boat
- Have-a-go at using a throw line - a useful skill to have if you ever see someone in trouble in water and there's public rescue equipment nearby
- Learn how to give CPR - an important skill that could help you to save a life. Delivered by our friends at the Royal Life Saving Society
- Meet the Kent Police Search and Marine Unit and take a look at all their impressive rescue kit
- Meet Buzz, the Kent Fire and Rescue Service search dog
- Meet the Splashpals Newfoundland dogs
- Learn what to do if you ever fall into deep water, with advice from our friends at the RNLI
- Face painting (payable)
Fancy dress competition
Youngsters are encouraged to dress up as a firefighter OR something water related to be in with a chance of winning a trip to explore your local fire station in Kent or East Sussex. We can't wait to see all the costumes!
Click here for the full timetable of events and further information.