East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is calling on people to check whether their Whirlpool white goods are part of a recall.
Whirlpool is recalling some of the tumble dryers sold under its Hotpoint, Indesit, Creda, Swan and Proline brands.
A fault has been blamed for at least 750 fires over an 11-year period, according to the government.
The Office for Product Safety and Standards says consumers whose Whirlpool tumble dryers have been modified can continue to use them safely, according to the instructions. However, those with an unmodified, affected tumble dryer have been told to unplug them and not use until they have been modified, free of charge, by Whirlpool.
Anyone still owning an affected dryer should contact the company immediately on 0800 151 0905.
The company says if your tumble dryer is affected, you’ll get the choice either to have it replaced free of charge, to opt for an upgrade from £59, to have it fixed by an engineer or to choose a refund, which will be dependent on the age of your tumble dryer.
Find out more advice,including which models are affected, from Whirlpool: https://dryerrecall.whirlpool.co.uk/
• Ensure you switch off your appliances when not in use~ unless they are designed to be left on. i.e fridges, electric clocks.
• Register your appliances at https://www.registermyappliance.org.uk/ to get up to date information about warnings and recalls.
• Service appliances once a year by a qualified electrician.
• Ensure you have working smoke alarms and test them once a week.
• Create and practice an escape plan.
We can also keep you safe by carrying out a free home safety visits. Where our trained staff will visit you in your home and give you advice on how to reduce the risks. Please call 0800 1777069 to book yours now or alternatively please go to www.esfrs.org/your-safety/home-safety-visits for further information.