East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service are reminding people to store fuel for open fires and log burners a safe distance away from any heat sources.
Yesterday, residents from a house in Lewes had a lucky escape when their kindling and logs which they were storing by their log burner caught fire. At 22:35 last night, firefighters from Lewes attended the property following reports of a chimney fire. On arrival, firefighters found a small fire involving logs and kindling next to a wood burner in the living room. The fire was extinguished and firefighters then carried out a Home Safety Visit.
Using a log burner? Check out our safety hints:-
- Ensure good quality fuel is used and store well away from the fire
- Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers
- Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house
- Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained
- Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks
Home Safety Visits- Free for everyone!
Did you know that we offer free Home Safety Visits to everyone in East Sussex?
We can visit to help you make your home safer and in some cases fitting smoke alarms.
If you would like a Home Safety Visit, click here for more information or call us on 0800 177 7069.