East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is offering top tips on staying warm safely.
As part of the Winter Ready campaign, the Service is reminding residents to be careful with plug-in and electric heaters in particular.
- Heaters should be kept away from furniture and fittings.
- Ensure that nothing can fall onto a heater.
- Keep at least three feet - one metre - away from them.
- Have fireguards to prevent and protect children and/or pets coming in contact with them.
- Never dry washing on or near them (or on fireguards).
- Try to secure heaters up against a wall to stop them falling over.
- Air vents on storage heaters or fan heaters must be kept uncovered.
- Don’t over load sockets
- Ensure heaters are switched off when not in use
We can help!
If you are particularly concerned that someone you know may be vulnerable to fire, get in touch. They may be eligible for a home safety visit. Our safety experts will come round and help make their home a safer place by offering advice and fitting smoke alarms.
For more information about home safety visits: https://www.esfrs.org/your-safety/home-safety-visits/
Warm Home Check service
This service provides tailored advice and support for anyone finding it difficult to keep warm at home.
This scheme covers East Sussex, and offers a home visit for eligible vulnerable people on a low income, which can include:
- advice on how best to keep their home warm/reduce energy costs
- advice on financial support available to help with heating costs
- minor home improvement measures such as improving pipe insulation, draught-proofing, boiler service.
Freephone: 0800 085 1674 or www.warmeastsussex.org.uk