A fire caused by a candle at a property in Hove has prompted East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service to issue a safety warning.
Crews from Preston Circus and Hove attended a basement domestic property fire on York Road, Hove at 22:20 last night. Firefighters used two Breathing Apparatus and one hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.
The cause of the fire was due to an unattended candle.
Station Manager Paul Coppard would like to remind everyone regarding dangers of candles within the home.
“Candles in the home are now getting a more and more popular way to add relaxation to our homes, which has seen a large increase in the number of candle related incidents. Candles mark special occasions and create a special atmosphere. They also bring fire into your home. So treat them carefully. Here are some basic do’s and don’ts:-
- Make sure you put out any candles, and especially before bed.
- Candles should always be held firmly in heat-resistant holders and placed on a stable surface where they won’t be knocked over.
- Keep them away from materials that might catch fire – that's things like curtains, furniture, clothes and hair.
- Be especially careful if you have a lot of flammable items in your home, like collections of books, magazines or papers.
- Be aware that tea lights get very hot and without proper holders can melt through plastic surfaces like a TV or bath.
- To avoid accidents keep candles and other naked flames out of reach of children and pets."
- Click here for some of our excellent tips and advice on candle and festive decoration safety.
- Did you know we offer FREE Home Safety Visits to everyone in East Sussex? We are committed to helping people stay safe in their homes. Our specially trained staff will visit your home and give you advice on how to reduce the risk of having a fire. If you would like a Home Safety Visit click here .