There have been two chimney fires in the Eastbourne area today (30 January 2020), prompting a safety warning from East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service.
The first was at 10.45 on Lushington Road and involved a log burner. Crews used a thermal imaging camera and checked that the fire hadn't spread to the loft or other floors.
The second was at Rattle Road in Stone Cross at 12.03. The crews had to use an aerial ladder platform to tackle the fire down the chimney.
There are no reports of injuries from either incident.
Chimney safety advice
Make sure your chimney is swept regularly
Chimneys should be swept according to the type of fuel used:
- Smokeless fuels - at least once a year
- Bitumous coal - at least twice a year
- Wood - quarterly when in use
- Oil - once a year
- Gas - once a year (Any work on gas appliances requires a Gas Safe registered installer/engineer)
Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained
Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers
Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house
Ensure good quality fuel is used
Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks