Pet owners are being reminded of the importance of fire safety after two dogs were rescued from a home in Brighton.
East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service were called at 13.51 on 29 July 2020 to reports of a small fire in a kitchen at a flat on Stephens Road.
Tea towels had accidentally been left on an electric cooker.
Crews used breathing apparatus and a hose reel to put the fire out.
A PPV fan was used to clear the smoke.
Unfortunately it's very easy to have an accidental fire in your home, especially when you lead a busy life.
The Service’s top tips to safeguard your pets from electrical fires are:
- Double-check you've switched off electrical items on at night and when you’re out of the home – you’ll be less alert to a fire breaking out when asleep.
- Buy electrical equipment which is safe and sound - look out for BSI kitemarks
- Remember not to overload sockets.
- Install a smoke detector and check regularly that it’s in working order.
Please also remember not to risk your own safety to save your pets - call 999 for help.
Home Safety Checks
The Service can help you make your home safer for both humans and your pets.
We can now carry out special virtual "visits" over the phone where we can talk to you about the fire risk in your home, after which we may:
- Post you further information leaflets AND / OR
- Post you smoke alarms to fit yourself OR
- If the risk is high and no one in your home is able to fit a smoke alarm we will take protective precautions and fit a smoke alarm for you in your home
Please feel free to contact us, on behalf of a friend or relative, but we would just ask that you get their permission first and let them know that we will ask them a number of questions.
Get in touch to find out more: 0800 177 7069