A fire investigation has found a fire in a Brighton flat started accidentally in a kitchen, leaving the flat extensively damaged.
Crews worked hard to stop it from spreading further.
East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service was called at 9.48 on 27 May 2020 to a terraced property in St Georges Road.
There was smoke coming from a window on the first floor.
Crews used breathing apparatus and hose reel jets.
Three people were led to safety and the aerial ladder platform was used to reach a fourth person who was in a flat on one of the floors above the fire.
One person is being re-housed by the local authority.
Crews are providing home safety advice in the local area in the coming days using leaflets.
We can also carry out “virtual” home safety visits over the phone, where we can talk to you about the fire risk in your home, after which we may:
• Post you further information leaflets AND / OR
• Post you smoke alarms to fit yourself OR
• If the risk is high and no one in your home is able to fit a smoke alarm we will take protective precautions and fit a smoke alarm for you in your home
If you would like to find out more about a Home Safety Visit, you can call us on 0800 177 7069
Please feel free to contact us, on behalf of a friend or relative, but we would just ask that you get their permission first and let them know that we will ask them a number of questions.
Home safety advice
- Protect your home with working smoke alarms - install them on every level and test them every week.
- Take extra care in the kitchen - around 50% of accidental house fires start there.
- Check and maintain your electrical appliances - consider registering your appliance.
- Smoking is the biggest house fire killer - out it out, right out.
Read out: https://www.esfrs.org/your-safety/safer-homes/