A flat fire in Hastings has prompted East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service to remind residents of the importance of safety in the kitchen.
Last night (5 October) four appliances were sent to a flat in Egremont Place, Hastings, where crews tackled a fire in the kitchen of a ground-floor flat.
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used one hose reel jet to tackle the fire, which involved overheated cooking oil.
One man had to be treated at the property after breathing in smoke and was left in the care of paramedics.
More than half of accidental fires at home start in the kitchen.
Many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention or they leave things unattended.
Find out how to keep safe while you are cooking and what to do if a fire starts in your kitchen.
Click on our Safer Homes web page to find out how you can keep safe.
Cooking with oil
You need to be especially careful when you are deep-fat frying or cooking with oil because hot oil can catch fire easily. Make sure you:
- Don't fill a chip pan or other deep-fat fryer more than one-third full of oil.
- Chuck out your old chip pan and use a thermostat-controlled deep-fat fryer instead, which will make sure the fat doesn't get too hot.
Dealing with a fire
If a pan catches fire in your kitchen:
- Don't move it because it will be very hot
- Turn off the heat if it's safe to do so - don't lean over the pan to reach the controls.
- Don't use a fire extinguisher on a pan of oil because the force of the extinguisher can spread the fire.
- Never use water on chip pan fires as this will cause a fireball, get everyone out, and close the kitchen door,
- Get out, stay out and call 999