East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
Navigate

Microwaves can be a fire hazard too

Date : 14 January 2020


burnt microwave.jpg

A microwave fire safety warning is being issued by East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service following a small fire in Brighton yesterday (13 January).

A crew were sent to Stafford Road, in Brighton, at 1.54pm following reports of a microwave fire.

On this occasion, the fire was started during the cooking of food but no action was required but a Home Safety Visit was given to the resident.

This incident shows that fires can affect any of us at any time and we do need to be extra vigilant of anything that might start fires in our own homes, such as electrical equipment and naked flames.

Click here to find out more about keeping safe in the kitchen.

Microwave fires can also be caused by overheating wheat bags in the microwave – read our Black Museum case study to find out how.

If an electrical appliance catches fire, don't throw water on it

A working, well maintained smoke alarm will give you valuable minutes in the event of a fire and allow you time to escape.

  • Pulling the appliance's plug out
  • Switching off the power at the fuse box
  • If the fire doesn't go out, get out of the house, stay out and call 999.
  • More information on cooking safely
HSV-Box-Banner.png
Safe-Business-Box-Banner.png


Subscribe to our occasional newsletter

Find us on Twitter and Facebook and retweet or share our posts.


Please rate this page, was it:
Please rate this page!