East Sussex was hit by heavy rain yesterday which caused flooding across the county. East Sussex Fire and Rescue attended a large number of flooding related incidents overnight:-
- At 17:09, firefighters from The Ridge attended a flooding affecting a building on Hobbs Lane, Beckley. Crews used a main pump to stem the flow of water.
- At 17:56, Rye firefighters attended a flooding affecting a property on Mill Lane, Peasmarsh. Crews assisted in diverting water flow.
- At 18:00, firefighters from Uckfield, Crowborough and Lewes attended a car stranded in flood water on Etchingwood Lane, Framfield. The driver and a dog was rescued from the vehicle.
- At 18:09, firefighters from Battle, Herstmonceux, Heathfield and Crowborough attended cars stranded in flood water on Grove Hill, Hellingly. Crews recovered two vehicles and were assisted by a local farmer. The road was closed until the flood water had cleared.
- At 18:39, Wadhurst firefighters attended a flooding in a residential building on Courthorpe Avenue, Wadhurst. Crews isolated electrics and made the scene safe.
- At 18:58, firefighters from Herstmonceux, Crowborough and Lewes attended Withernden Hill, Burwash following reports of three cars stranded in flood water. Crews rescued four people from the vehicles and the Highways Agency subsequently closed the road.
- At 04:40, firefighters from Battle, Hastings and Crowborough attended Junction Road, Staplecross following reports of a car stranded in water. Crews assisted one person to safety.
Advice on driving in heavy rain and floods
We have some useful advice and guidance on driving in heavy rain and floods. Click here to find out more
- At 18:19, firefighters from Newhaven and Seaford attended an RTC involving two vehicles on Newhaven Swingbridge, Newhaven. Three people were handed over into the care of SECAMB. Crews were assisted by Sussex Police who closed the road.
- At 21:01, Barcombe firefighters assisted West Sussex Fire and Rescue in attended a chimney fire at a residential property on Plumpton Road, North Chailey. Crews used two Thermal Imaging Cameras to source the fire together with one Chimney Kit and one Hose Reel to extinguish the fire. Crews then carried out a Home Safety Visit.
- At 22:54, Barcombe firefighters attended a public house on Lewes Road, Ringmer following reports of a chimney fire. Crews used one Chimney Kit and a Hose Reel to extinguish the fire.
- At 23:52, Hastings firefighters attended a fire in the open on Castledown Avenue, Hastings. Crews used buckets of water to extinguish the fire.
- At 03:41, firefighters from Hove, Brighton, Roedean, Lewes, Barcombe and Newhaven attended a fire in a flat on Albion Hill, Brighton. Crews used six Breathing Apparatus to tackle the fire on the 6th floor of the high rise. All persons were accounted for and crews left the scene at 06:05. A Fire Investigation is due to take place later this afternoon.