East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
Navigate

Tumble Dryer Safety Warning following Brighton Fire

Date : 21 January 2020


Clothes-dryer-damaged-by-fire.jpg

Never leave your home with the tumble dryer running, however tempting this may be.

This also applies to washing machines too, as fires caused by electrical appliances in the home are far more common than people realise. Electrical fires within the home are a weekly occurrence for East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service to attend.

For example, yesterday (20 January) at 15.30 two crews were sent to a small fire in tumble dryer at a property in Buckingham Place, Brighton, which was out on arrival. Firefighters carried a Home Safety Visit out at the property, following the incident. The cause of the fire, following an investigation, was found to be an electrical fault.

It’s always best to use appliances while you are in the property and awake. If you are asleep you may not wake up and if you are out there is no-one there to alert the Fire Service, if there is a fire.

If a fire starts when you are at home it means you can contact East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service immediately, which will minimise fire damage in the home. Always get out, stay out and call the Fire Service out. Find out how you can make your home safer.

Dealing with an electrical fire

If there is an electrical fire, pull the plug out, or switch off the power at the fuse box - if it's safe to do so. Sometimes this can stop the fire immediately. Read more about electrical safety.

Never use water on an electrical fire, and don't take any risks with your safety - get out, stay out and call 999.

Safety Checks

Check and maintain your electrical appliances – you can also register them for recall information.

HSV-Box-Banner.png
Safe-Business-Box-Banner.png


Subscribe to our occasional newsletter

Find us on Twitter and Facebook and retweet or share our posts.


Please rate this page, was it:
Please rate this page!