East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
Navigate

Two Tumble Dryer Fires in One Day

Date : 10 November 2020


Causes of Fire in The Home.jpg

As we approach the winter months, which brings with it inclement weather, you might be turning to your trusty tumble dryer for some much needed support.

However, if you don’t care for your electrical appliances they could let you down when you need them the most.

Unfortunately, electrical fires within the home are a weekly occurrence for East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service to attend.

White goods fires are more commonplace than you think, please ensure that you place a smoke alarm fitted near to your kitchen and test it regularly. Remember, more than 50% of fires start in the kitchen and an early warning could save your life, as well as minimise fire damage.

Never leave your home with the tumble dryer running, however tempting this may be. This also applies to washing machines too.

It’s always best to use appliances while you are in the property and awake. If you are asleep you may not wake up and if you are out there is no-one there to alert the Fire Service, if there is a fire.

Yesterday, we attended two further tumble dryer fires, highlighting the importance of electrical safety. Don’t forget to register your appliance, as this will give you an early information around any recall of products, with potential safety problems.

  • At 16:16 yesterday two crews were mobilised to a tumble dryer fire in Horsted Lane, Isfield, which was out on arrival but firefighters carried out an important Home Safety Visit at the scene of the incident. 
  •  At 20:05 yesterday two crews were sent to a tumber dryer fire in Denton Drive, Brighton, where firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the fire using on hose reel jet. Paramedics were on the scene.  

Rememeber, there are important safety checks that you can carry out to maintain your electrical appliances – you can also register them for recall information. 

If a fire starts when you are at home it means you can contact East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service immediately, which will minimise fire damage in the home. Always get out, stay out and call the Fire Service out. Find out how you can make your home safer.

Dealing with an electrical fire

If there is an electrical fire, pull the plug out, or switch off the power at the fuse box - if it's safe to do so. Sometimes this can stop the fire immediately. Read more about electrical safety.

Never use water on an electrical fire, and don't take any risks with your safety - get out, stay out and call 999.

 

HSV-Box-Banner.png
Safe-Business-Box-Banner.png


Subscribe to our occasional newsletter

Find us on Twitter and Facebook and retweet or share our posts.


Please rate this page, was it:
Please rate this page!