East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is reminding people of the importance of working smoke alarms following three fires over the weekend in Bexhill.
- At 13.32 on Saturday 13 March, crews were called to Loxwood Close where a small fire had started after a plastic box was accidentally left on a hob.
- At 15.19 on the same day, they attended Jasmine Way where there have been a small accidental fire involving a cooker.
- At 14.52 on Sunday 14 March, crews were sent to De La Warr Heights, Marina where a hob had been accidentally switched on, setting a tea towel alight.
Working smoke alarms
Watch Manager Daryl Streeter said: “The householders all had working smoke alarms which meant that when these accidents happened, they were quickly alerted to the fires. This shows just how important it is to make sure you have alarms on every level of your house. We can help you find the best place to put them, give you additional safety advice and in many cases, provide you with the alarms themselves.”
A whole range of alarms have been designed specifically for the hard of hearing, with features ranging from strobe lighting and vibrating alarms to small wearable radio-linked pagers. These specialist alarms can save lives, alerting people to a fire in their home even if they remove their hearing aid at night.
Please call 0800 177 7069 for more information about our home safety advice or check our website www.esfrs.org
Home safety advice
- If you have a fire in your home, get out of the building and call 999 immediately
- Fires in the kitchen are common but can be avoided by taking extra care especially with things like tea towels near hobs
- Register your electrical appliances in case there is a fault with them and they get recalled: https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/