East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service are reminding everyone to take extra care with matches and lighters following a fire on 26 October 2021 which is believed to have been caused by matches.
At 20:40, we were called to attend a property on Meads Street, Eastbourne following reports of a fire in the top floor bedroom of the property. Crews from Eastbourne and Pevensey attended. All persons within the property had evacuated and were accounted for. Firefighters used four Breathing Apparatus, two Hose Reel Jets and one Main Jet to extinguish the fire. Once the fire was extinguished, crews used a Positive Pressure Ventilation fan to clear the property of smoke.
With many families carving pumpkins and decorating homes in preparation for Halloween, we are offering top tips to help reduce chances of having a fire caused by matches or lighters.
- Extinguish all matches properly
- Keep all matches and lighters out of sight and reach of children
- Refill your lighter away from naked flames and in a well ventilated area
- In the event of a power cut, don't use matches or lighters as an alternative light of heat source
- Ditch the candles and use LED or batter powered tea lights in your lanterns!
Home Safety Visits
Did you know that we offer free Home Safety Visits? We can visit your property, offer fire safety advice and install smoke alarms if needed. To find out more or to book a visit, go to www.esfrs.org now!
Firewise is a scheme that aims to stop fire setting by educating young people about the dangers and impacts of fire. To find out more, please visit:Firewise ¦ East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service (esfrs.org)