As part of Student Fire Safety Week (25-31 October), East Sussex Fire and Rescue are getting spooky in the run up to Halloween. We would like to welcome students to their new accommodation with a gentle reminder to stay alert to fire hazards.
Many young people are living away from home for the first time, either in rented property or halls of residence, with new responsibilities when it comes to fire prevention and awareness.
Home Office fire statistics show that 66% of the 160-plus fires attended by fire and rescue services at student halls of residence in 2019/20 were started by cooking appliances.
When living away from home, it’s important to recognise new fire hazards, and take precautions to reduce your risk. The majority of fires at student accommodation start in the kitchen, often when someone has become distracted. We are asking students to make sure they don’t leave cooking unattended and take extra care if cooking with oil.
If you’ve been drinking, we would advise to give cooking a miss and end your night out with the arrival of a takeaway rather than a fire engine.
We're urging students to use our top tips for fire safety.
- Test fire alarms regularly.
- Keep your student accommodation smelling fresh with a fragrance spray or reed diffusers rather than candles.
- When the fire alarm sounds, react quickly and evacuate safely.
- Ask for advice when unsure about cooking.
- Give cooking your full attention.
- Never light candles or have open flames in your student housing.
- Never cover smoke alarms.
- Don’t ignore fire alarms.
- Don’t try and cook without a clue, use cook books and ask others instead.
- Avoid distractions while cooking and never leave cooking unattended.
For more student fire safety tips, visit our website.
Student Fire Safety Prize Draw
During this week, we have launched a prize draw where students can win awesome kitchen equipment. Prizes include a Crockpot slow cooker, Russell Hobbs Compact Steamer and a VonShef Air Fryer.
To enter the draw, all you have to do is sign up to our occasional newsletter. No purchase is necessary! Click here to enter.