East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo

Local firefighters are on hand to help Bexhill residents

Date : 03 March 2022

Following a call to a building in Bexhill, local firefighters are offering support and advice to residents.

The crews were called out just before 7am on 22 February 2022 to reports of water coming through a cupboard on the ground floor of Montserrat, an eight floor block of flats on the seafront, West Parade.

The flood was affecting multiple flats and crews isolated the water and electricity supplies. 

Crews are now offering everyone in the block and the five neighbouring blocks the opportunity to have a home safety visit, which will help them reduce the chances of a fire in their home and provide advice about what to do in an emergency. Common causes of fires are cooking and electrical faults.

The offer of a home safety visit is open to everyone who lives in East Sussex and Brighton and Hove.

Call us on 0800 177 7069 or email Homefire.Safetyvisits@esfrs.org

Advice if you have a flood in your home or business

If the water damage to electrics is relatively minor and caused by clean water, i.e. a burst water pipe or tank, then it is likely that the registered electrician will just need to dry out cables and replace any accessories affected by the water (sockets, switches, plugs etc.)

If there is major flood damage to the electrics caused by clean or contaminated water, then it is likely that parts of the electrical installation will need to be rewired


• Make sure the property is safe before you enter

• Try to avoid direct contact with any water which remains. It may be contaminated

• Have a torch at hand when entering the property

• Switch off the electricity supply at the fuse box, if it is safe to do so. If there is evidence of water inside the fuse box or if there are signs of arcing or overheating, seek professional advice

• Unplug damaged electrical appliances and move all portable ones away from the area affected by flooding

• Arrange for other services, such as gas, to be switched off. Electricity and gas supplies should not be turned back on until you have had professional advice that it is safe to do so


• Use candles to guide you when entering the property

• Use any mains powered electrical appliances in areas affected by flooding until advised by a registered electrician that it is safe to do so

• Go near any exposed wiring. It may still be live

• Start to clean up or carry out repairs until you are sure it is safe to do so

• Do not attempt any electrical repairs or connection of temporary supplies yourself – always use a registered electrician

Find out more: https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guidance/safety-around-the-home/flooding-advice/


Subscribe to our occasional newsletter

Find us on Twitter and Facebook and retweet or share our posts.

Please rate this page, was it:
Please rate this page!