East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is calling for careful cooking after two accidental fires in kitchens this afternoon (1 April 2022).
The first incident took place around half past four in Brighton in a high rise flat on Dyke Road. The second was around half past six in a flat on Warriors Square in St Leonards, where crews used breathing apparatus.
At both incidents, crews needed to ventilate the area to clear the smoke, and assisted the residents.
Group Manager Simon Neil said:
“Our job is to keep you safe. We ask that everyone ensures cooking is not left unattended, especially if you are cooking with oil. Working smoke alarms on every level of your home are essential. If you’re not sure where to put them or how to install them, we can help with home safety visits, providing you with information and support, and even free alarms.
The most important thing to remember is that if you have a fire in your home, leave immediately and call 999.”
Home Safety Visits
Small things can make a real difference in your home, keeping you and your loved ones safer.
If you would like to find out more about a Covid-safe Home Safety Visit or phone call, you can visit www.esfrs.org/your-safety/home-safety-visits/ or call 0800 177 7069