East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
Navigate

Home Safety advice following house fire in Hastings

We were called on 31 January 2023 at 4.21am to a house fire in Waterside Close, Hastings.

The fire was likely caused by the use of candles and spread to both floors of the house causing significant smoke damage throughout. Crews used breathing apparatus and firefighting foam to put the fire out.  

The occupier managed to get out and alert their neighbours. They were given initial first aid at the scene.

Station Manager Peter Everett said:

“We’d like to remind people of the importance of regularly testing your smoke alarms and following home safety advice including having an escape plan.

For families with young children, we also encourage you to take a look at our kids zone on our website www.esfrs.org/your-safety/kids-zone/ 

Crews are spending time in the area to help locals who may be concerned or have questions about fire safety. Members of the public are welcome to contact us to request a free home fire safety visit.‘’

Candle Safety

We would recommend you use fake candles (remember candles are a common cause of fires), but if we can’t convince you, here are our basic rules for keeping safe: 

·         If you leave the room, put the candle out before you go

·         Use a proper heat resistant holder

·         Put the holder and candles on a stable surface where they won’t get knocked

·         Keep candles and flames away from curtains, clothing, cushions and anything which could catch light 

If you have any questions about candle or other fire safety issues in the home, we offer a free Home safety check service and can even supply you with new smoke alarms if required!

If you would like to find out more about a Home Safety Visit, you can: 

Date: 31 January 2023
Please rate this page, was it:
Please rate this page!