We wish to notify you of our next Fire Authority meeting on Thursday 9 February 2023 at 10:30am. The meeting will be held in the Council Chamber, County Hall, East Sussex County Council, St Anne's Crescent, Lewes.
Details of the full agenda can be found here:
A key item on the agenda is the Medium Term Financial Plan, including a decision over Council Tax for 2023/24.
The Service is not alone in facing pressure on its budget primarily from inflation, pension costs, unfunded pay rises, future funding uncertainties, and the cost-of-living crisis.
Council Tax is the Service’s primary source of funding and the Fire Authority is being asked to approve an increase of £5 (at Band D), the maximum allowed without a referendum.
Even with the £5 increase we will still have a budget gap.
The budget gap for 2023/24 is £0.636m, and it is proposed that this is funded by the use of reserves.
The amounts required to balance the budget for 2024/25 based on current modelling are £0.721m.
The Fire Authority does not have to take final decisions on its budget for 2024/25 until February 2024, but we are asking it to agree a number of proposals for additional savings so that we have plans ready.
Some of these proposals may need public consultation before the Fire Authority can take a final decision, others which don’t change the service we deliver to the public, can be progressed straight away, but may take time to deliver.
Information for the public
East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service welcomes members of the public and the press to attend public sessions of its Fire Authority and Panel meetings. If you have any particular requirements, for example if you require wheelchair access or an induction loop, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
About the Fire Authority
The primary duties of the Fire Authority are:-
- To provide a Fire Service and to ensure its efficiency
- To provide the efficient training of members of the Service
- To ensure that efficient mobilising and communications arrangements exist
- To make arrangements to obtain information needed for firefighting purposes
- To make arrangements to ensure that the steps are taken to mitigate damage to property through firefighting
- To make arrangements to provide fire safety advice
- To make arrangements to give mutual assistance to other Fire Services
- To ensure that adequate water supplies are available for firefighting purposes