East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo
East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service logo

Power outage following Fire in Eastbourne

Date : 22 January 2023

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service have been called to a fire in Eastbourne.

Firefighters from Eastbourne and Seaford were called out at 07:15 on 22/01/2023 to reports of an electricity box on fire. Which is causing an electricity outage in the Eastbourne area.

Two breathing apparatus wearers used 1:7 foam to extinguish the fire.

There are no reports of casualties.

The incident has now been handed over to UK Power Networks. To find out more visit https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/power-cut/map 

The cause of the fire will be investigated. 

During a power cut please remember these simple tips to help you stay safe:

  • Take extra care during power cuts
  • Use torches and batteries, house them where you can find them easily in an emergency - or even better use wind-up torches – they’re safe, cheap and never run out of power
  • Turn off electrical equipment, except a light or a radio, so you know when power is restored. Switch off electric cooker hobs.
  • If you suspect that there is a gas leak, turn off all appliances and the main cylinder valve, open all doors and windows and do not smoke or turn on any electrical switches or appliances until you have been given the all-clear. The power cut could end at any time.


Both battery powered and hardwired smoke alarms should continue to work. Hardwired smoke alarms should have a battery back up. 

  • Check with your manufacture what to do in the event of a power cut
  • Test your alarms once a week, by pressing the test button until the alarm sounds and use your vacuum cleaner to suck out any dust.
  • If it is difficult for you to fit your smoke alarm yourself, ask a family member or friend to help you or contact us to see if you are eligible for a Home Safety Visit.  

Remember: Regularly testing and maintaining your smoke alarms will improve their life expectancy and effectiveness. 


Never use a camping stove, portable barbecue, lit charcoal or generator in an enclosed space as they are designed for outdoor use only.

If you are using a camping stove outdoors, take extra care and never change camping gas cartridges indoors or near ignition sources.


Never use a camping heater indoors as poisonous carbon monoxide can be produced.

Only use gas or paraffin heaters in well-ventilated areas. Heaters consume oxygen and in enclosed spaces can produce harmful gases and/or cause carbon monoxide poisoning.

  • Keep heaters away from curtains and furniture and never use them for drying clothes.
  • Switch off portable heaters when you go out, are not in the room, or go to bed.
  • If possible, secure portable heaters in position to avoid the risk of them being knocked over.
  • Carbon Monoxide detectors should be used in all rooms containing gas or paraffin heaters.
  • Never use portable gas cylinder heaters in high rise flats
  • Always change gas cylinders in the open air. Never change gas cylinders in an enclosed space.
  • Never move a bottled gas or oil heater when it is lit.


During a power cut use battery-operated lights or torches as an alternative light source. Other options include a wind-up torch, glow sticks or a shake light. If you must use candles, make sure you follow these safety guidelines.

  • Make sure lit candles are kept in candle holders and can’t be knocked over.
  • Do not use candles as a light source when you are moving from room to room.
  • Keep candles well away from anything that could catch fire, like curtains, cards, cushions, TVs or even shelves.
  • Never leave a lit candle alone – even for a few seconds. During a power cut it may be tempting to leave candles lit around the house. But candles can spark, or fall over, causing a fire.
  • Only light candles in a room you are using and if going out, or going to sleep, make sure ALL candles are properly put out first.
  • Only put candles on a heat resistant surface or holders. Be especially careful with night lights and tea lights, which can get hot enough to melt plastic or ignite combustible materials.

Subscribe to our occasional newsletter

Find us on Twitter and Facebook and retweet or share our posts.

Please rate this page, was it:
Please rate this page!