Don’t be ditsy - never cook tipsy and never leave cooking unattended
Don’t let Christmas become too hot to handle by leaving candles near Christmas trees or things that can catch fire
Keep candles, lighters and matches out of children’s reach. Never leave lit candles unattended.
Never overload electrical sockets. Always switch Christmas lights off and unplug them before you go to bed.
Deck the halls with boughs of holly but avoid lights or heaters - remember decorations can burn easily.
Share the Christmas spirit, take time to check on older relatives and neighbours, as they are potentially at greater risk from fire.
Make sure you only light up your home and not a fire by checking that your Christmas tree lights has this British Safety Standard sign.
Don’t forget to pay your smoke alarm some attention this Christmas and test them before the festive fun
If you snooze you lose – falling asleep whilst cooking is one of the biggest causes of kitchen fires
Enter our free competition to win shopping or cinema vouchers
Turn your sound up!