This accessibility statement applies to www.esfrs.org.
This website is run by East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- most older PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
We’ll consider your request and get back to you in 5 working days to let you know if we can fulfil your request, 20 working days to complete the request
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: 0303 999 1000
- Contact: Digital Communications Support Officer
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
We provide a text relay service for people who are D/deaf, hearing impaired or have a speech impediment.
If you are planning to visit any of our premises please contact us if you have any special requirements
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
- Our videos are hosted by YouTube which automatically generates captions. The captions for some of our older videos have not been checked for accuracy. We are reviewing these videos and all caption will be checked for accuracy by April 30th 2023.
WCAG 2.4.7 Focus Visible
- The keyboard focus is not visible on the links under the twitter box on the home page. This includes links such as; Pensions, Kids zone and Our work
- Home page: The keyboard focus is not visible on links including Homes, Businesses and Local stations
- The focus is not clear in the left hand menu on all pages
WCAG 1.3.1 Info and Relationships and WCAG 4.1.2 Name, Role, Value: Form elements must have labels (Axe)
- All pages: in the Search box a Form element has explicit <label> that is hidden
All pages: At 200% zoom, the dropdown menu under Contact us is partially cut off
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and other documents
Some of our PDFs and Word documents are essential to providing our services. For example, we have PDFs with information on how users can access our services, and forms published as Word documents.
The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services.
We do not plan to add captions to live video streams because live video is exempt from meeting the accessibility regulations.
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
We have added an accessibility toolbar to the site which provides the following features:
- Read aloud selected text
- Adjust text size
- Adjust text and background colour
- Screen ruler to aid reading
- Screen mask to aid reading
- Dictionary for definitions of select words
- Instant translation to approximately 100 languages (and read aloud).
- Switch to text only
- Download text to an audio file
- Magnify selected area of the screen
We are in the process of replacing our website, due at the end of April 2023, which is being built on the GOV.UK Design System (GDS).
- This makes sure that the site is:
- Accessibility legislation compliant.
- Highly usable.
- Tested to work on all popular browsers and devices.
- Familiar and comfortable for end users.
The site will WCAG 2.1 AA accessibility guidelines compliant and therefore meets the UK’s Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 17 September 2020. It was last reviewed on 02/12/2022.
This website was last tested on 6th August 2020. The test was carried out by The Plain English Campaign.
We used this approach to deciding on a sample of pages to test and did not dictate the pages that were sampled.
You can read the full accessibility test report